The Wheelwrights Shop Sturt


The Wheelwright's Shop. George Sturt.

Title: The Wheelwright's Shop.

Publisher: University Press, Cambridge,

Publication Date: 1923.

Binding: Hardcover

Edition: 1st Edition

First Edition , with frontispiece and illustrations in the text, brown cloth blocked and lettered in black, backstrip lettered in black, a very good, clean copy. First published in 1923, Sturt's account of his wheelwright's business in Farnham, Surrey, is one of the most detailed and evocative portrayals of rural craftsmanship in the late Victorian period and a classic of the genre. Deckle cut pages? This edition extremely/very rare..

Has two interesting paper ephemera insertions:

  • Undated obituary of Mr. George Sturt who wrote a number of books under the name “ George Bourne”

  • Handwritten letter to “Eland” from Rex Wailes, dated 14-12-28, on headed paper. Copywright of article below Grace's Guide to British Industrial History R. P. Wailes (c1872-1952)

1952 Obituary [1]

WE have learned with regret of the death of Mr. R. P. Wailes, M.I.Mech.E., which occurred at his home, Davidge House, Knotty Green, Beaconsfield, on Monday last, January 14th, at the age of eighty.

Reginald Percy Wailes was the youngest son of the late George Wailes, and was born at Watford in 1871. He was educated at private schools and at Repton, and began an apprenticeship with his father's firm, George Wailes and Co., of Euston Road, London, in 1889. Later, he served as a foreman and works manager, and subsequently became a partner in the firm.

In 1906, however, when his father decided to retire and to sell the engineering works and its contents, Mr. Wailes was not given an opportunity to continue in the business. He bought what plant and equipment he could at the sale which was held, and set up on his own account in some hired premises, with a few members of the staff of the old firm.

Later on, Mr. Wailes built his company's present works at 382-388, Euston Road and continued in the production of special purpose machines and prototypes.

After the first world war, in which he served with the City of London National Guard, Mr. Wailes utilised the front of the Euston Road premises for the establishment of an engineer's tool merchant's business.

Mr. Wailes was elected to membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1907.

0 items